Collapse All Expand All
 Where can I get a Federal Recreation Pass?
US Geological Survey (USGS) manages the recreation pass program; contact them at 1-888-ASK-USGS (275-8747)

What is the speed limit on Pittsburgh District lakes?
The speed limits vary by lake. Visit our recreation page for speed limits.

Why can’t I consume alcohol at Pittsburgh District recreation facilities but I can at Baltimore District projects?
Section 327.12 (e) in Title 36 CFR allows the district commander to make the call:  "The possession and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages on any portion of the project land or waters, or the entire project, may be prohibited when designated and posted by the District Commander".  Pittsburgh District commanders since the 1980s have continued to prohibit alcohol at district facilities.

How do I volunteer to help clean up or be a campground host at one of your lakes?
Contact the Corps’ Volunteer Clearing house at You may also contact our lakes directly for clean up projects. (link to lakes) We have campground host position available at Youghiogheny & Shenango Lakes for the recreation season. Click on lake links for more info.

Where do I report crimes or vandalism when I’m on Corps property?
Call local law enforcement or contact a Corps employee immediately. Call the Corpswatch Hotline at 1-866-413-7970 with information leading to the prosecution of anyone committing crimes against US Army Corps of Engineers property and you may be rewarded up to $1,000.

Why can’t I carry a concealed weapon at your recreation projects?
Title 36 of CFR controls the authorization of authority on US Army Corps of Engineers Civil Works projects and although there has been changes to other federal acts, the possession and carrying of a loaded concealed weapon on US Army Corps of Engineers Civil Works property is still prohibited and the local District Engineers (District Commander) was not granted authority to lift this restriction.  Below are Title 36 chapters which apply to recently enacted concealed weapons legislation.
1. Section 512 of the Credit Card Act of 2009 (Public Law 111-024) pertains to possession of firearms and allows an individual to possess an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park Service or National Wildlife Refuge System provided that the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm and the possession is in compliance with the law of the State in which the National Park/Refuge is located. This law becomes effective on 22 February 2010 on property under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service or the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 
2. Public Law 111-024 does not apply to Corps projects or facilities. The passage of this new law does not affect application of Title 36 regulations (36 C.F.R., Chapter III, Part 327, Rules and Regulations Governing Public Use of COE Water Resources Development Projects). 36 C.F.R. § 327.13(a) prohibits the possession of loaded firearms or ammunition on lands and waters administered by the Corps unless one of the exceptions in 36 C.F.R. § 327.13(a)(1)-(4) applies. The full text of 36 C.F.R. can be viewed on the NRM Gateway at:
3. 36 C.F.R. § 327.13 remains in full force and effect. It will continue to prohibit loaded concealed weapons on Corps properties regardless of the new law and notwithstanding any contrary provisions of State law. It remains Corps policy that we will not honor State-issued concealed weapon permits on our facilities and that District Commanders do not have discretion under 36 C.F.R. § 327.13(a)(4) to create blanket exceptions to this policy. A change of this nature to Corps regulations in 36 C.F.R. Part 327 would require formal rulemaking procedures under the Administrative Procedures Act (5 U.S.C. §§ 551-706).


Collapse All Expand All
 Where can I get river navigation charts?
Download digital files from navigation charts page. GPO has hardcopy books available on the web at or call them at (866) 512-1800.

How do I know if a river or stream is navigable?
Click here for a list of Navigable rivers and streams within Pittsburgh District boundaries. 

Where can I get lock schedules?
All of the Ohio River Locks in the Pittsburgh District are open 24 hours daily. Monongahela River’s Braddock, L/D 3, L/D 4, Maxwell, Grays Landing and Point Marion Locks are open 24 hours daily.  Click here for current lock schedules for other locks on the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers or call the lock. Are locks are frequently closed for short periods for maintenance; always check our navigation notices before setting sail.  

Where can I find river and lake levels?
Visit our water management page and click on Daily Reservoir Report and Forecast

When will the flash boards be removed or placed at Lock 9, Allegheny River?
The boards are generally placed on the dam sometime in May and removed sometime in October, depending on the river level. Please visit our navigation notices page for the most recent info.


Where can I get hydrographic maps?
Pittsburgh District hydrographic maps are available online. Links to other agencies with free, online maps are listed on our navigation charts page. 

There’s an obstruction in the navigation channel. Who do I report that to?
Contact our regulatory branch at 412-395-7247 or call the nearest locks and dam.


Where do I report navigation violations on the Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio Rivers, such as speeding in a no wake zone? Commercial vessel violations should be reported to the Coast Guard. Recreational vessel violations in PA, contact US Fish & Boat Commission; in OH contact the Division of Watercraft; and in WV, contact Dept. of Natural Resources.


Where do I report navigation violations on the Corps Lakes, such as speeding in a no wake zone?
If there is a state patrol on the lake, contact them (see previous question); or inform any Corps employee.


How can I find out which gates are open at the locks and dams?
Contact the locks and dam.

Regulatory, Wetlands, Permits

Collapse All Expand All
 I think my neighbors are disturbing a wetland or dumping in a stream on their property, and I don’t think they have a permit. Who do I report that to?
Visit our regulatory page at  ___(link to regulatory)_____ and fill out a Potential Wetlands Violation Form, or call them at 412-395-7155. (link to form). Exact locations and photos are very helpful in determining whether there is a violation or an individual permit is needed.

Do I need a permit to build a dock on the rivers? Corps Lakes?
Visit our regulatory page at  ___(link to regulatory)_____ for information on building docks, or call them at 412-395-7155.


How can I have my property checked to see if there are wetlands before I begin my construction project?
Visit our regulatory page at  ___(link to regulatory)_____ for information on wetlands or call them at 412-395-7155.


I’m thinking of buying a river side property w/an existing dock, do I need to get a new permit?
The permit will transfer ownership if you purchase the house.


Who do I report dumping into rivers or streams within Pittsburgh District regulatory boundaries to?
Call the PA Dept. of Environmental Protection, Ohio Environmental Protection Agency, WV Dept. of Environmental Protection or contact our regulatory branch at 412-395-7247 (Link to regulatory map)

Real Estate

Collapse All Expand All
 I’d like to open a concession at one of your lakes. How do I go about that?
Please contact the lake manager or our Real Estate Division at 412-395-7185. (link to RE)

There are trees on Corps property blocking my view of the lake. Is it okay if I trim them?


How do I lease Corps property for my utility project?
Contact our Real Estate Division at 412-395-7185 (link to RE)


Collapse All Expand All
 How do I bid on a contract?
Click here or call our Small Business Office at 412-395-7127  (Link to small biz page)

How do I request official documents that pertain to Corps of Engineers business or projects?
The documents you are seeking may be available through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) process. Please check our FOIA page to see if your document is already available online or click on “request form” on the FOIA page. (link to FOIA)


How do I obtain a flood plain map?
Visit for information on your flood risk and to download maps near your residence.


How can I get sandbags for expected flooding in our community?
We do not provide sandbags directly to property owners. The Corps works with township emergency managers, who in turn can contact the Corps of Engineers for assistance.


How can our town get funding to fix or build flood protection or environmental (sewage/water treatment) infrastructure or help with ecosystem restoration?
Please visit our __(expert services page) or ask your township officials to contact our Outreach Coordinator  at 412-395-7588.


How do I apply for a job or internship with the Corps of Engineers?
Visit our careers page (link) for more information or contact our CPAC at 412-395-7482.


Do you have speakers available for our luncheon or event?
Speakers are available on a case-by-case basis. Please contact our public affairs office at or 412-395-7500.



How do I find out about hydropower plants on Corps’ dams?
Visit the Corps Gateway - Link to hydro page


I’m a retired Corps or Army Civilian employee and need to check on my benefits?
Contact OPM at (888) 767-6738. Link to


I am not a Corps employee but need a military ID card. Where can I get one?
Cards are issued at the Air Force Reserve Base in Moon Township. Contact them at 412-474-8527 or visit the Site Locator for locations or call (1) (800) 477-8227. Link site locator to


When is the next Contractor Quality Management (CQM) Course?
Our Construction Branch generally holds two courses per year in the spring and late summer/fall. Please visit _____link to page>>>> for the next scheduled course.


My loved one is a veteran. How do I get his records or establish benefits for him or her?
Contact the VA at 1-800-827-1000