Conemaugh & Loyalhanna
The concrete walls inside the Conemaugh River Lake dam hold imprints of wood grain from the planks of wood used to build the original forms. The dam was completed by 1952 in Saltsburg, Pennsylvania. In some places the wooden grain is so visible that visitors ask if the interior walls are not in fact made of lumber. The Conemaugh River Lake and the Loyalhanna Lake dams, managed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Pittsburgh District, are located within eight miles of each other in Saltsburg, Pennsylvania. Their reservoirs flow downstream to join and form the Kiskiminetas River, which leads into the Allegheny River. The two dams are partners in providing navigation and reducing flood damage across the Pittsburgh region. (U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Pittsburgh District photo by Michel Sauret)

Download Image: Full Size (8.66 MB)
Photo by: Michel Sauret |  VIRIN: 211022-A-TI382-0422.JPG