PITTSBURGH - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Pittsburgh District is alerting mariners of scheduled closures at Allegheny River Lock and Dam 2 on the Allegheny River from August 5 to November 1 due to repairs to the facility’s land wall.
Maintenance will require intermittent closures of the facility’s lock chamber during the following times:
- August 5 at 7 a.m. to August 26 at 7 a.m. – full chamber closure
- August 26 at 7 a.m. to September 9 at 5 a.m. – chamber open with 35-foot width restriction
- September 9 at 7 a.m. to September 27 at 6 p.m. – full chamber closure
- September 27 at 6 p.m. to September 30 at 5 a.m. – chamber open with 35-foot width restriction
- September 30 at 5 a.m. to October 18 at 10 a.m. – full chamber closure
- October 18 at 10 a.m. to October 31 at 10 a.m. – chamber open with 35-foot width restriction
- October 31 at 10 a.m. to November 1 at 2 a.m. – full chamber closure
- November 1 at 2 a.m. – chamber fully open
Additionally, during the width-restriction periods, commercial vessels will be given priority over recreational vessels when locking through. Recreational boaters should plan accordingly.
High water conditions may delay the start and progress of some work. The district will continue to provide updates regarding how a delay will affect the timeline.
The scheduled closures of the lock chamber are necessary to address lock chamber wall repairs needed to reduce the risk of unscheduled closures and maintain the reliability of the navigation facility.
Please see the navigation notice concerning restrictions and changes in locking through procedures for the lock.
The Allegheny River Lock #2 Navigation Notice NTNI Nbr. #10576 can be found here: https://ntninotices.usace.army.mil//lpwb/f?p=150:1:0::NO:::
The district’s navigation structures not only provide reliable river commerce, but also provide water supply for drinking, industrial use, firefighting and sanitation treatment. The sustained pools of water provided by navigation dams encourage economic development within the region.
To view navigation traffic and lock service status, call L/D 2 at 412-661-2217 or visit: https://corpslocks.usace.army.mil//lpwb/f?p=121:1:10029104101614:::::.
For river conditions and charts, visit http://www.lrp.usace.army.mil/Missions/Navigation/.
Mariners can also contact the lock directly on Marine Radio Channel 13 for updates during periods of chamber closures and width restrictions.
Pittsburgh District’s 26,000 square miles include portions of western Pennsylvania, northern West Virginia, eastern Ohio, western Maryland and southwestern New York. Our jurisdiction includes more than 328 miles of navigable waterways, 23 navigation locks and dams, 16 multi-purpose flood-control reservoirs, 42 local flood-protection projects and other projects to protect and enhance the nation’s water resources, infrastructure and environment.
For media inquiries, contact the Public Affairs Office at 412-395-7500 or email: email@example.com.