PITTSBURGH - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Pittsburgh District is alerting mariners of Pittsburgh-pool level fluctuations during to the scheduled construction work at Allegheny River Lock and Dam 2 from Aug. 5 to Nov. 1.
To facilitate construction activities, the Pittsburgh pool level at Point State Park (The Point) will be maintained at a gauge ranging from 15 to 15.5 feet during full chamber closures at Lock and Dam 2. During other periods of time during the construction activities, the pool may increase above this level. No impacts to commercial navigation are anticipated. The authorized river-channel depth of 9 feet will be maintained.
Construction will require intermittent closures at Lock and Dam 2 during the following times:
- Aug. 5 at 7 a.m. to Aug. 26 at 7 a.m. – full chamber closure
- Aug. 26 at 7 a.m. to Sept. 9 at 5 a.m. – chamber open with 35-foot width restriction
- Sept. 9 at 7 a.m. to Sept. 27 at 6 p.m. – full chamber closure
- Sept. 27 at 6 p.m. to Sept. 30 at 5 a.m. – chamber open with 35-foot width restriction
- Sept. 30 at 5 a.m. to Oct. 18 at 10 a.m. – full chamber closure
- Oct. 18 at 10 a.m. to Oct. 31 at 10 a.m. – chamber open with 35-foot width restriction
- Oct. 31 at 10 a.m. to Nov. 1 at 2 a.m. – full chamber closure
- Nov. 1 at 2 a.m. – chamber fully open
For river conditions and charts, visit http://www.lrp.usace.army.mil/Missions/Navigation/.
Mariners can also contact Lock and Dam 2 directly on Marine Radio Channel 13 for updates during periods of chamber closures and width restrictions.
Pittsburgh District’s 26,000 square miles include portions of western Pennsylvania, northern West Virginia, eastern Ohio, western Maryland and southwestern New York. Our jurisdiction includes more than 328 miles of navigable waterways, 23 navigation locks and dams, 16 multi-purpose flood-control reservoirs, 42 local flood-protection projects and other projects to protect and enhance the nation’s water resources, infrastructure and environment.
For media inquiries, contact the Public Affairs Office at 412-395-7500 or email: CELRP-PA@usace.army.mil.
Release no. 19-015