Pittsburgh Corps welcomes new commander

Published Jan. 7, 2013

Colonel William H. Graham, Pittsburgh District Engineer, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, will transfer leadership of the Pittsburgh District to Colonel Bernard R. Lindstrom during a traditional military Change of Command ceremony on Friday, January 11, at 10:30 a.m. at the Senator John Heinz History Center, which is located at 1212 Smallman Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15222. Brigadier General Margaret Burcham, Great Lakes and Ohio River Division Commander, will preside over the ceremony.

 

The Change of Command ceremony symbolizes the continuation of leadership and unit identity despite changes in individual authority; it also represents the transfer of responsibility and authority from one individual to another.  The ceremonial passing of the command flag from the departing commander to the arriving commander physically represents this transfer.

 

As Commander and District Engineer, Colonel Lindstrom, a western Pennsylvania native, will lead the Pittsburgh District in delivering integrated regional solutions that minimize risk and enhance reliability for the nation’s infrastructure, water resources and environment.  One of 45 Corps of Engineers districts, Pittsburgh covers an area of approximately 26,000 square miles extending into five states – Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Maryland and New York.  The Pittsburgh District supports commercial navigation on the upper Ohio, Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers, operating and maintaining 23 locks and dams.  Pittsburgh’s flood damage reduction mission encompasses 16 multi-purpose reservoirs and 80 local flood protection projects which have prevented over $12 billion in flood damages. 

 

[Media Note:  Members of the media are invited to attend the Change of Command ceremony.  Please confirm your attendance by phone or e-mail no later than noon, January 9.]

 

                                               

For media inquiries, contact the Public Affairs Office at 412-395-7500 or email: celrp-pa@usace.army.mil.


Release no. 13-004