US Army Corps of Engineers
Pittsburgh District Website

Pittsburgh District commemorates 150 years in the region

Published Feb. 17, 2016
Locks and Dam 2 on the Allegheny River is located across from Sharpsburg, Aspinwall and Etna, downstream from the Highland Park Bridge.
Construction began on Lock 2 in 1932 and continued until 1935. It was opened for navigation in October 1934, replacing the original lock built at river mile 7.0 between 1902-1908.

Locks and Dam 2 on the Allegheny River is located across from Sharpsburg, Aspinwall and Etna, downstream from the Highland Park Bridge. Construction began on Lock 2 in 1932 and continued until 1935. It was opened for navigation in October 1934, replacing the original lock built at river mile 7.0 between 1902-1908.

PITTSBURGH — Two thousand sixteen marks the 150th anniversary of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Pittsburgh District’s service to this region. The district will commemorate this milestone throughout the year.

In the 1820s, the first Army engineers in Pittsburgh were combat engineers who mapped transportation routes, built roads, and constructed fortifications for the troops moving west to the frontiers. During that time, the principle means of transportation for the troops and their supplies was the nation’s river network. By improving the navigation, the engineers directly contributed to the national defense and alleviated the nation’s economic commerce issues.

Aug. 3, 1866 marks the official establishment of the district to Pittsburgh, and marks the day that William Millnor Roberts was appointed as the district’s first chief engineer.

Pittsburgh District’s first mission was to finish the Ohio River Project Survey begun in 1838, and create clear, navigable waterways for commerce on the Ohio River throughout western Pennsylvania.

Today, Pittsburgh District’s area of operations covers 26,000 square miles including portions of western Pennsylvania, northern West Virginia, eastern Ohio, western Maryland and southwestern New York. Our jurisdiction includes more than 328 miles of navigable waterways, 23 navigation locks and dams, 16 multi-purpose reservoirs, 42 local flood protection projects and other projects to protect and enhance the nation’s water resources, infrastructure and environment.

Additionally, the district has oversight and inspection responsibility for 80 local, flood-protection projects which focus on reducing potential damages caused by flooding within the Ohio River watershed.

In 2015 alone, the Pittsburgh District’s locks have passed more than 46,600 loaded barges carrying more than 67 million tons of material, taking more than 2.7 million semi-trucks off the region’s roads.

Pittsburgh District reservoirs and flood-prevention projects have prevented more than $13.7 billion in flood damage since their construction.

Furthermore, Pittsburgh District is prepared and ready to respond to natural and man-made disasters and overseas contingencies. Most recently, the district has support FEMA with Hurricanes Katina and Sandy, deploying more than 40 personnel to support Sandy and 106 personnel to Katina.

More than six million people visit district lakes each year generating more than $200 million in local economic benefits for the region.

Join the district in honoring 150 years of our people, projects and past. To commemorate the anniversary, ceremonies will take place throughout the year at multiple sites.

Stay informed about 150th anniversary events at http://www.lrp.usace.army.mil/ and follow us for updates on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PittsburghUSACE/

View the district's historical timeline of important, dates, places and events throughout our 150th year, here http://bit.ly/1oHj32O.

-30-

For media inquiries, contact the Public Affairs Office at 412-395-7500 or email: celrp-pa@usace.army.mil.


Contact
Carol E. Davis
412-395-7500/01/02
CELRP-PA@usace.army.mil
1000 Liberty Avenue Pittsburgh, PA 15222-4186
or
John Kelly
412-395-7500/01/02
CELRP-PA@usace.army.mil
1000 Liberty Avenue Pittsburgh, PA 15222-4186

Release no. NR16-048