1. TO ALL WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: Notice is given of the seasonal implementation of the IMTS Levels of Service for lock operations on the Allegheny River, as follows.
2. Allegheny River Lock 2, C.W. Bill Young Lock and Lock 4 will begin 24 hour per day operations on Monday, May 6, 2013. Commercial Navigators should note that double lockages will only be permitted Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 AM and 10:00 PM. There will be NO Lock Tow Haulage Assisted double lockages after 10:00 PM or before 8:00 AM. There will be NO Lock Tow Haulage Assisted double lockages on weekends.
3. Allegheny River Lock 5 has expanded its operating hours on
March 25, 2013, to Monday through Friday from 7:00 A.M. to 11:00
P.M. It is anticipated that Lock 5 will further expand service levels within the next three months to 7 days per week as staffing shortages are filled. A revised notice will be posted when this level of service will be provided.
4. Allegheny River Lock 6, Lock 7, Lock 8, and Lock 9 will remain closed indefinitely except for commercial appointment lockages. (Note: Under unusual circumstances, clearance lockages will be authorized, if an emergency situation warrants.)
5. Commercial operators requiring appointment lockages at lock 6 through Lock 9 must make arrangements at least 48 hours in advance. Appointment Lockages will only be performed between the hours of 7:00 AM and 11:00 P.M. Mondays through Fridays.
To schedule a commercial appointment lockage, please utilize
the phone chain listed below between the hours of 7:00 A.M. and
3:00 P.M., Monday through Friday.
Lock 5, Allegheny River (724) 295-2261
Jim Klanica (412) 661-2217 or (412) 719-9202
Locks and Dams Branch Office (412) 395-7650
Gary Householder (412 395-7653
Chris Johnson (412) 395-7651
NOTE: When making a commercial lockage appointment, operators should NOT leave a phone message but should use the phone chain until they have spoken to a person.
6. All waterway users are cautioned that warning signs and pillar buoys will not be set until approximately mid-April. Since the navigation aids may, at times, have moved off station during the year because of river conditions, boaters must approach all locks with extreme care, especially when
proceeding downstream. Everyone is urged to consult their navigation charts to be absolutely sure of the landmarks when approaching a lock and dam.
7. All waters immediately upstream and downstream of each dam are designated as RESTRICTED AREAS year round and are
seasonally designated by the signs and “KEEP OUT” buoys.
Boaters, fishermen, divers, and others are cautioned. DO NOT ENTER RESTRICTED AREAS, as these areas are EXTREMLY HAZARDOUS.
Upstream of the dam, currents may draw boats into the dam. Downstream of the dam, backwash and turbulence from the dam may draw a boat into the dam, causing it to capsize.
8. This notice will be updated when service levels or conditions change.
FULL NOTICE AT LINK BELOW: