C.W.Bill Young Lock & Dam
1 Barking Road
New Kensington, PA 15068
Send mail to Lock & Dam 2
C.W. Bill Young Lock and Dam is located across from Acmetonia, PA, just above the Pennsylvania Turnpike bridge.
Construction began on C.W. Bill Young Lock and Dam in 1932 and continued until 1935. It was opened for navigation in October 1934, replacing the original lock built at river mile 17.0 at Springdale, PA, between 1897-1904.
C.W. Bill Young Lock and Dam, like all navigation facilities on the Allegheny, consists of a single lock chamber and a fixed crest dam. This type of dam is basically a concrete weir or wall across the river which keeps the river channel upriver of the project deep enough for navigation -- about 9 feet or more.
Water which flows over this type of dam cannot be controlled locally. Consequently, it cannot provide any control over flood waters. An incidental benefit derived from the pool formed by the dam is the availability of a source of municipal and industrial water.