7451 Lockway West
Pittsburgh, PA 15206-1183
Locks and Dam 2 is located across from Sharpsburg, Aspinwall and Etna, downstream from the Highland Park Bridge.
Construction began on Lock 2 in 1932 and continued until 1935. It was opened for navigation in October 1934, replacing the original lock built at river mile 7.0 between 1902-1908.
Lock and Dam 2, like all navigation facilities on the Allegheny, consists of a single lock chamber and a fixed crest dam. This type of dam is basically a concrete weir or wall across the river which keeps the river channel upriver of the project deep enough for navigation -- about 9 feet or more.
Water which flows over this type of dam cannot be controlled locally. Consequently, it cannot provide any control over flood waters. An incidental benefit derived from the pool formed by the dam is the availability of a source of municipal and industrial water.